Friday, September 18, 2009
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
|Group A||Group B||Group C||Group D|
|Group E||Group F||Group G|
|Group I||Group J||Group K||Group L|
|Group M||Group N||Group O||92|
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Concert Choir Syllabus
September 9, 2009
The 9-12 grade choir is a mixed choral ensemble that performs in three concerts throughout the school year. The ensemble will develop their knowledge and abilities as musicians through performing a variety of choral repertoire as well as utilizing sight-singing materials.
- Students will be provided with a high quality performance experience.
- Students will successfully perform a variety of choral repertoire for the school and community.
- Students will explore and become aware of different styles of music, with emphasis on various historical and cultural styles. Students will study text in a variety of languages.
- Students will develop musical competencies: sight singing, music theory, and correct vocal technique.
- Students will be able to correctly use and define various musical terms and concepts.
- Students will be provided with an environment for vocal development as an individual and ensemble.
- Students will be prepared for evaluations of material covered during class, by performance, written tests and individual vocal assessments.
- Students will foster an appreciation for music that will continue for the rest of their lives.
No. 2 Pencils
Black Choral Folder (provided by Smithtown HSW)
Choral Repertoire (provided by Smithtown HSW)
Sight-singing book- Mixed level 1
Winter Concert- Tuesday, December 15
Jazz Festival- Thursday, April 15
HSW Gala Concert- Saturday, March 20
Spring Concert- Wednesday, June 2
Other Important Dates:
November 17 Friends of Music Reception
November 20 All County 2009
December 3,4 & 5 HSW Drama Production
December 10 & 17 West Winter Concerts
March 4-7 HSW Musical Production
March 13 & 14 SCMEA Concert
April 9 & 10 All State/ NYSSMA Solo Festival
May 15 & 16 Tournament of Plays
May 18 & 25 West Spring Concerts
June 9 SFOM Awards Night
Rehearsal/ Attendance Policy:
All rehearsals and concerts are MANDATORY. The Smithtown High School West attendance policy applies for this course and students should strive to arrive early to rehearsals so that they many begin on time. Three tardies will be considered to be one absence.
Prior to all concerts there will be an additional, MANDATORY rehearsal in the evening. If a student fails to attend this rehearsal, they will not be permitted to sing in the concert. This means all coaches and employers must be notified in advance of these rehearsals. If a student is ill, but has been in school that day, they are still expected to attend rehearsal that evening. These students will follow along with their music while sitting in the audience. ONLY the director may authorize an absence from the evening rehearsal or concert. Please understand this policy is in place so that our choir may have a most successful performance.
- Daily Grade/ Class Participation- 50%
- Attendance (lessons and rehearsal)- 30%
- Quarterly Exam- 10%
- Quarterly Sight-Singing Exam- 10%
Daily Grade/ Class Participation:
Class Participation is the most important aspect of this ensemble. Each week there will be 100 points given for each student. (20 points/day) Students are expected to warm up, stand, sing and will be responsible for the information that is discussed in rehearsal. Students can loose points for:
- Food/ Drink/Gum – (10 points)
- Cell Phones- (20 points) **
- Behavior Issues- (20 points)
- Does not participate in class- (20 Points)
- Tardiness- (10 points)
If you are too ill to quietly follow along and mark your score, you are too ill to be in school. Even if you are physically unable to sing, you are expected to have your music open and be listening to the rehearsal. Reading or doing homework for another class is not an option and will result in an additional loss of 20 points.
***Cell phones are not permitted in rehearsal. If you are caught with a cell phone you will lose the 20 points and receive a warning. After your first warning, the phone will be confiscated and can be picked up from the main office at the end of the school day.
Please remember that three tardies are equivalent to one absence. Excessive absences will result in failure or at the least, a lowered grade.
Please remember that the return of classroom materials does impact your grade. You are expected to hand back the music, folder and sight-singing materials in the condition they were received with your assigned number at the top.
Students are expected to follow the rotating lesson schedule and come once a week to the lesson with their assigned lesson group. Failure to attend lessons will result in a lowered grade. In their lessons they will follow the same classroom rules and come prepared with the same materials. Students will work on their choral repertoire as well as the development of their vocal technique. They will have tests as a small vocal section and individually. They will be responsible for all the material covered in lessons. This material will be on their written exams and assignments.
This year we have a new choral curriculum in place. This is to help you become a well-rounded musician. We will be emphasizing sight-reading skills using the do based solfege system and definition of terms. Sight-singing materials will now be given to each student and will be incorporated into our warm-ups. A packet will also be given to each student that will be handed in two weeks before each concert. This will define various terms in the music as well as include background information and diction of each piece.
- Be on time.
- Be courteous and respectful.
- Do not talk during instruction.
- Bring a pencil to every class.
- No gum.
- No food or drink other than water.
- Be ON TIME for all rehearsals and lessons.
Men: Black Suit Jacket, Black dress pants, White button down shirt, Tie, Dress Shoes.
Women: Full length black dress with black dress shoes.
Student signature: ____________________________
Parent signature: _____________________________