Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Jazz Choir Auditions

Jazz Choir auditions will be held next Tuesday and Wednesday, September 14 &15, after school in the chorus room. This is a select ensemble of 20 members that learns different literature using vocal jazz styling and techniques. They participate in multiple concerts, school functions & community events, as well as a trip that we will be organizing and fundraising for. The list of members will be up by Friday, September 19. Everyone is welcome to audition! If the times available do not work for you, come see me and we will find time during the day. Best of luck and I am looking forward to the new year!!

Audition requirements:

            -30 seconds of a prepared Jazz Standard. This should be memorized & will be performed a capella.
            - an 8 measure sight reading sample that I will provide from a piece we are working on this spring.

Slots are five minutes in length and you will be filling out an information sheet for me, so please arrive before your audition time to complete this.

See you then!!

Mrs. Christy

Listening Suggestions for Vocal Jazz Artists:
- Ella Fitzgerald
- Sarah Vaughn
- Billie Holiday
- Frank Sinatra
- Harry Connick Jr.
- Diana Krall
- Jane Monheit
- Jamie Cullum
- B.B. King
Possible Song Titles to look into:

- Autumn Leaves
- Funny Valentine
- I’ll Be Seeing You
- Over the Rainbow
- Embraceable You
- Cheek to Cheek
- I’ve Got the World on a String
- I’ve Got You Under My Skin
- Someone to Watch Over Me
- Come Fly With Me